I'm not officially declaring summer over yet, but it's pretty much done. And it was a great one. Some highlights:
- Met friends to pick berries
- Hosting people for bbqs or fire pit nights
- CC park day every week
- Adding a range hood and some other little fix-ups in our kitchen. And adding outdoor string lights to our deck.
- Three idyllic summer nights with the mother daughter CC group. First was a picnic and nature study walk through woods and meadows, followed by painting flowers that we gathered with watercolors on sketchpads, completed by the older girls carrying the younger girls for piggyback races through the meadow while the sun covered everything in golden light. Second was learning about birdwatching and feathers on a CC family's property which was concluded by the girls chasing chickens to pick them up and picking berries. Third was a potluck where everyone brought copies of the recipe they brought and the girls made keepsake cookbooks, with a grand finale of the girls individually reciting poetry around a bonfire as the sun set. Are you kidding me?! I love our group.
- Camping at Lost Lake by Mount Hood with the Albers for three nights. We just booked next year's trip to the exact same place and we are so excited. It was such a fun trip.
- A Eugene visit for the kids to say, "Play Ball" at an Ems game and for some special Camp Cousin time with Jonathan's parents.
- VBS. Woosh, I feel tired just typing it.
- Some fun be Salem's riverfront with my sister's family and a yurt trip to Beverly Beach for my birthday. Something about adding a year to my age makes me want to be by the ocean.
- Washington County Fair
- A giant reunion bbq for Varsity House/co-op friends
- Hosting the wonderful Ihde family for two nights
- National Night Out Block Party
- A coast trip with Jonathan's family
- Having an electrician fix up our lighting situation (I'm still so pumped about this, thanks hubs!)
- Camping at Battleground Lake with our community group
- A trip to LA, just me, to visit my dear Amber and meet her sweet baby. Such a treat.
- A Eugene trip to swim and play while Jonathan travels for work.
- And tons of other fun I'm sure I'm forgetting.
And there was sadness too. My Grandpa passed in July. He was a very jolly and thankful man and he always had a way of finding something positive to say to others. He was very encouraging to me and he will be very missed in lots of little sweet ways. For one, he was one of my most dedicated blog followers and always sent me a note after a post to tell me he liked it. Love you, gramps!
This summer was all about reading for Quinn. Wow. So many books! We probably went to the library twice every week. She is very into historical fiction, and also likes Cam Jansen mysteries, Strawberry Shortcake, and the Rainbow Magic Fairies series. She told me a couple days ago that she wants to break her record of reading three books everyday and start reading four. And these are chapter books. I guess our hopes of having children who love to read are becoming reality.
I feel like the wonder of summer comes alive for three year olds. I remember when Quinn was three in the summer everything felt like magic. This was true for Archer too. Jonathan and I so delighted in his rascally little self running around and playing in water, having sweaty hair and grubby paws, constantly gathering sticks and rocks to bring inside, helping take care of the garden, getting a farmer's tan on his still barely pudgy arms. He's grown up so much this summer.
Swimming starts next week and Awana, and Jonathan gave me three hours of teacher prep time the other day. But I can't declare summer to be over and school to start until after we go to Sunriver. On Friday last week, when many of Quinn's friends started school, I began what I think may become a new tradition. We loaded up our beach gear, got Burgerville to go, and played for hours on the Oswego Creek beach. It was so fun and no one was there. I love having the freedom to start school whenever I want and it was fun to celebrate it. I can't believe Quinn will be starting kindergarten soon though!


No comments:
Post a Comment