Lots of changes over here lately!
For one, we are eating very differently and spending a lot more time in the kitchen. At the end of 2016, Jonathan discovered that he operates a lot better without gluten, dairy, canola oil, and keeping sugar low. It has been amazing to see so many elements of life improve for him in so many ways, even things we didn't know would improve. At the same time, a variety of flags were going up for me as well and at the start of the year I got tested too. Turns out I benefit from avoiding gluten, dairy, peanuts, and some other things too. I also had hypothyroidism. After more than three months of a very strict elimination diet, my hypothyroidism is healed and many other annoyances that I didn't realize were optional are gone. I've added back most foods, but with Jonathan and I both having trouble with gluten and dairy, we figure the kids are probably better off without it too. We've tried so many amazing recipes since the start of the year and even invented a few along the way. It's been a challenge for sure, but we're changing our family culture to include cooking together and kitchen experiments and it's so enjoyable. Honestly, I feel so good, there's no food that I miss that would be worth it to go back. And the kids have been so much more adventurous with flavors than I expected. Now at the grocery store, they beg me, "Can we get brussels sprouts again? Please, please!" Or before eating something, Archer asks, "Is it guten fee?" (Gluten free) We would love to talk about anything and everything we have learned through the process if anyone feels like something just isn't quite right with their health.
The days leading up to Easter were lovely, we had a big potluck with our growth group and pushed our house capacity to the maximum. Jonathan and I were asked to read scripture at the Good Friday service for church. Easter morning, we woke up with a cold so we had our own family Easter service.
After Easter, I went to Niagara Falls with my parents and sister for my dear Grandma June's memorial service. It was a very sweet time visiting my grandpa and sharing stories with all the Maves relatives. She was a shining example of love, hospitality, generosity, and strength. She is greatly missed.
Quinn is a reading machine now. Through participation in a book club, she raised over $250 for Love146 to support rescued girls in the Philippines. Also, in April, I brought home from the library her first chapter book to read on her own: Cam Jansen. She plopped down in the middle of the carpet and started reading. Fifteen minutes later, I checked on her and she said, "I'm on chapter three!" She's whipped through many Cam Jansens and plenty of other chapter books at this point. One day in May, she read from breakfast to dinner with only a break for lunch. Love it!
Jonathan summitted Mt. Hood with some people from our growth group. They climbed 12 hours round trip with crampons, ice axes, harnesses and all. Quite an exciting trip and amazing views.
I co-hosted a baby shower for my dear friend Amber. I'm extremely excited to meet her sweet baby soon!
We built two new garden beds and they are rocking the produce despite my neglect. The kids keep eating spinach and carrots straight out of the dirt and feeding them to neighbor kids.
We wrapped up our first year of CC and signed up for another. It was such an immense blessing this past year. There are fun events outside of the weekly meeting and the friendships made have been a real treat.
Quinn and I went to two mother daughter events. A cake decorating party and a pajama party. I'm so impressed by my mature lady.
We went to Eugene to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday by going to a Duck baseball game.
Jonathan and I got away for a couple nights to Hood River. We ate tons of good food, slept, read, and hiked. It seemed every wildflower in the area bloomed right when we arrived because it was so colorful and beautiful.
I think more changed in the month of May than the whole year prior. Archer potty-trained like a champ and gave up nap (hello summer freedom!) And Jonathan had multiple days off sprinkled throughout the month as he went through the interview process for a new job! Today was his first day and it went great. He had a whole week off before for us to wrap up some projects and get out of town as a family. We now have a range hood in our kitchen, re-drywalled the ceiling where cupboards and lights used to be, demoed and rebuilt Archer's closet, hung some lights over our back deck, and a bunch of other little projects that make our home cozy.
We had our first Sundae Sunday of the season and it was good turnout. And we've had a couple fire pit nights too. We're looking forward to lots more summer fun with a packed calendar. So thankful for good health, family, and friendships in this season! God has provided abundantly.
No comments:
Post a Comment