January 30, 2015

Time for a Quinn update! This girl is cracking me up nonstop. She is constantly pretending, narrating, singing, dancing, all day, everyday. Current make believe scenarios on repeat are Mary Poppins, Jesus and Jairus' daughter, Boaz and Ruth, Winnie the Pooh, Robin Hood and Maid Marian, Moses and the Red Sea, Zero the Hero, swim class, cooking, camping, and ballet performances. She's not a fan of stopping any of this for photos these days, but luckily I snag some videos of the mayhem.

We are still doing twice a week preschool sessions during Archer's morning nap and she loves it. We do a calendar time, letter of the week, Bible story, and some sandpaper letter practice. I got some Bob Books from the library for her to practice some early reading and it seems like she is starting to understand the basics of how reading works. She is also starting to understand some basic addition with her fingers. We use a Voice of the Martyrs prayer calendar for her preschool calendar and she wants to pray for and talk about the people on there all the time. This is not the best picture, but she built (from right to left) Bethlehem (two buildings), Jerusalem, a stable, Pharaoh's palace and a pyramid in Egypt, and the Red Sea with people walking in it out of blocks.
We just gave up on nap with her and I'm so glad! It's so nice, I wish we'd done it sooner! Most days she would not fall asleep until right before nap was over and then it was impossible to wake her up. She'd be grouchy and groggy through dinner time and then have a hard time falling asleep at night. Not a good set-up at all. I still have her do a quiet time during Archer's afternoon nap for my sanity, and she does pretty well with it. I let her have music on and we reserve her library books for that time or she'll play Legos or something that's tough to play with Archer awake. She goes to sleep at night right away now and sleeps later in the morning so I get more one-on-one time with Archer in the morning. 

She's in swim lessons once a week and loving it. She joined right in from the start (a big deal!) and has improved with every class. She loves her teacher and talks about her class and "teammates" all the time. She really hates goodbyes and if she knows one is coming, she'll try to hide and not acknowledge the person she needs to say goodbye to as if that will make it not happen. She does this with playdates, guests, all sorts of things. I could tell she really liked her class because she wouldn't high five her coach at the end and got really sad. We talked through the issue, but I was amazed she liked the class so much. She starts ballet in February so we'll see if that's as beloved.

She chooses all her own clothes now. She still prefers hair free flowing and nothing on her feet. She has some chores like putting away silverware, feeding the dog, putting away some laundry, but we definitely need to ramp that up. She is still very into maps and declared part of our yard is the Hundred Acre Wood. 

Quinn, you are a sweet, clever, endearing, busy honey bee and we love you so!

No comments:

Post a Comment