January 29, 2013

I recognize that some people who read this blog might find this post a bit too personal. Please forgive me. I'm also aware that not very many people even read this blog, and since its purpose is to record my memories, and this is a very significant one to me, I'm going to write it anyway. Plus, maybe it could help another mom out there.

Quinn is officially weaned as of yesterday. It wasn't my goal to make it to 15+ months. Initially, I had hoped to make it six months. Once we got to six months, it was such a simple routine that I decided of course I would keep going until she was one year. After her first birthday, I wasn't sure what to do. I had some friends who weaned their children when they turned one, but I felt for me personally it would be hard on me and Quinn to just stop nursing because of a date on the calendar. But I also didn't want to keep going indefinitely. I also heard of kids who just woke up one day and wanted to be done. I decided I would follow Quinn's lead for at least a couple months since she was doing so well with solid foods and drinking from a cup. 

At the start of December, she was down to just one time of nursing a day - first thing in the morning. I made a point to not be distracted or reading because I knew she could be done any day. Call me sentimental, but I didn't want her to surprise me with being weaned one morning and then feel sad because I spent her last nursing time reading blogs on my phone, you know? 

Since Christmastime, I haven't been as diligent about keeping my supply up. One morning last week, Quinn nursed for a couple minutes and then said, "More?" She's never done that before. I had a light bulb moment. I had been trying to think of a fun new ritual to replace nursing in the morning. Quinn has long been interested in the mugs Jonathan and I drink our morning coffee from each day. I got her a mug and put some cow's milk in it. I set her on my lap on the couch while she sipped.
She loved it! For the next couple of days I would have a mug of milk on the coffee table next to my coffee for when she woke up. We'd go to the couch and I'd say, "Mama milk or mug milk?" she'd start with nursing and then say, "More?" and I'd give her the mug. And now she just has a mug of milk with Jonathan and I. We sit together, clink our mugs, and start the day. It's a little bittersweet that the nursing season is over, but I'm so glad I had some warning and that we get to introduce a sweet new routine. I hope Quinn will join us for a warm drink and conversation in the morning for many many years to come. 

2 comments:

  1. So sweet! I assumed we would hang onto the morning feeding for much longer than we did, but Pearl just decided to not be interested anymore at 13 months. And I don't think she could handle drinking from a mug. We would have milk everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I found this post helpful. I have a 7 month old and wasn't sure how to approach the end of breastfeeding. I like the ideas.

    Haley
    Beaverton, Or

    ReplyDelete