Today was a mixture of messy, comical, sweet, and exhausting with a sprinkle of embarrassing. A little bit memorable, but also very typical. Just another day in the life, but I know life will change so much so I want to be able to look back at this and laugh.
The alarm went off at 6am. I'm trying to get in the habit of doing some stretches before I even get out of bed. After those, I dragged myself to the kitchen to start making some waffles and eggs. Jonathan and I had a lovely chat while I nursed Archer. Thirty minutes later Quinn was awake. I had my second breakfast with the kids, which included a dance party intermission. Some playing and reading, Archer tucked in for nap, get dressed, have a third breakfast (I'm really hungry the first half of the day) while finishing up my grocery list and helping Quinn sort her animal figures by what environment they live in. Oh, and get some laundry started.
Archer wakes up and we head to the grocery store by 10:30. Last week he was wanting out of the Ergo and into the cart which Quinn loves because that means she gets to walk around and be my helper. When we arrived at the grocery store, it became very clear to me that Archer had a major diaper blow out. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal because I keep spare clothes for both kids in the car. But, Archer also had a major blow out on the way to Bible study yesterday and I forgot to put new clothes in the car. So, he is now wearing his down coat with no shirt and a pair of Quinn-sized bright pink pants sitting in the cart instead of hidden inside the Ergo. I should mention that we are recognized at this grocery store. The employees in the meat department start slicing 12 slices of pepperoni when they see me walking up because I get that every week for pizza night. The cashiers ask which character Quinn is pretending to be each time we come in. I make a little joke to each clerk that recognizes us and makes a curious expression at Archer's pants. But to take the awkwardness up a notch, Quinn declares to various strangers, "Archer is ten months!" After sharing that with a few people, she adds a bonus feature. Her first target is an unsuspecting businessman who says, "Wow." in response to the Archer statement. She then asks him, "Can you do this?" and does a ballet jump. The man says he doesn't think he can and she insists that he try. After he tries, Quinn says, "No, like this!" and does it again. The poor guy tries a couple more times before I tell Quinn that it's a new move for him so he will make sure to practice. She lets him off the hook and I give him an apologetic smile. She does this same routine on two more random people before I distract her with a cupcake sample and get us to the register to pay. The drive home consists of her asking me "why" about a million things, what happened to the cashier's finger and what color was her band-aid (I didn't know I was supposed to pay attention to that), and requesting detailed information about Queen Elizabeth. Archer is saying, "Ba ba ba" and practicing clapping.
When we get home, I hold Archer on my hip and feed him spoonfuls of lunch while I put groceries away. We all sit down for some lunch and then play Boaz, Ruth, and Obed with the markers as wheat and the Go Fish cards as fish. Archer is tucked in for nap after many kisses (he's been giving out kisses like crazy the past couple weeks) and Quinn and I do some watercolor painting. I start a second load of laundry and do some dinner prep while Quinn has quiet time. Then I set her loose and then Archer wakes up and we play and wait for Jonathan to get home. I go for a run while the frittata is in the oven. We scramble to all get cleaned up and the kids to bed. Tonight I washed Archer, Shinobi (unfortunate failed potty attempt while I'm washing Archer), Quinn, and myself in a fifteen minute span. Then Jonathan and I crash. The days just zoom by.
We had a nice holiday weekend. We took the kids to the pool for Valentine's and had a special dinner and dessert. We filled the days with lots of walks and played at the park with the neighbors every day. We also did some yard work in the beautiful weather and Jonathan built me another raised bed. I'm getting excited for gardening again. I planted some spinach seeds in September and kind of forgot, but now it's ready to eat! Good old sun and rain.

Bwahahaha! I can just picture it! :) I can't believe that man didn't know his ballet moves! Clearly, he hadn't planned ahead when he went grocery shopping. =D Your days are filled to the brim with great moments and wonderful memories...and love.
ReplyDelete