April 3, 2012

We are very excited to announce that Quinn has started down the road to eating solid food! After a lot of research, I have decided to skip purees altogether. The idea kept popping up in blogs that I follow. These two posts in particular put me over the edge. The book "Baby-Led Weaning" by Gill Rapley explains that this isn't a new concept, in fact it's very old. It's just that no one is talking about it these days. She gives some history, spells out practical details, and includes tons of stories and quotes from parents who are doing this. A lot of people are nervous about choking, but a six month old's gag reflex is really shallow so this method actual helps them learn what an appropriate sized bite is because they will just spit out pieces that are too big. 

The term "weaning" can be misleading, I'm not trying to get Quinn to give up milk anytime soon. The book is from the UK so the terminology is a little different from here. I'm going to keep offering her the same number of milk feedings as she's been having and as she is able to get food into her mouth and connect that to feeling full she'll request less milk. The first couple months are more about testing out different tastes and textures anyway since milk still provides all the nutrients she needs. I'm relieved to not be spending tons of time making purees just to have her spit it back out. The BLW approach is all about feeding your child the same food you are eating and having a fun social time at the dinner table. I'm sure this brings up many more questions and the book does a great job of answering all of them! You can check out the website or their forum for more information.

So, what does a six month old look like eating solid food? Well, I've got a video for you! We gave Quinn the options of broccoli, a scrambled egg yolk, and a sliced banana. Any guesses on which one she chose?
It was such a delight to have her at the table with us while we ate dinner. I'll try to keep posting updates, but I think this is going to work well for our family.

4 comments:

  1. Love the video! Those first few meals when we fed Brax finger foods are definitely some of our favorite memories from this past year. It was amazing how fast he caught on! And he still will eat pretty much everything, while we know other kids his age who are starting to get picky already.

    I know the book recommends giving them large pieces that they can pick up and chew on, but we gave up on that pretty quickly and started cutting things small enough to swallow (or giving him mush, like mashed up avocado or liver pate :). He got bored with things that he couldn't swallow, but he loved raking food into his mouth and swallowing it. I don't know if that was just Brax, or if other babies are like that. Quinn seems to enjoy chewing on that broccoli :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have always done a combination with Noah of bits of what we're eating and purees. Now that Noah is 11 months, he feeds himself about 90% of the time. However, I still do veggie purees to ensure he's getting enough. He may take 5 or so bites of veggies on his own, but he gets a lot more when I do a veggie puree with a little added applesauce for example. Also I enjoyed making purees from time to time. It doesn't have to be boring and bland. I used my creativity to come up with unique combinations and different textures. Best of luck with this new exciting stage :)

      Delete
  2. I am SOOO laughing out loud at this... I love that the broccoli suddenly disappeared and then she never could quite get the eggs into her mouth. The 'piece de resistance' was her 'thrrrup'ing at the end! Perfection!! =D Oh, Quinnie, you make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Quinny, what a big girl! How precious. She's gonna love her greens - the approach/philosophy is a good one. Will tofu be next on the menu? lol

    ReplyDelete