November 2, 2011

Four years ago today we moved to the Bay Area. We were ready for a change and excited to leave Corvallis. We set our expectations low and said, "it will only be for two years." We quickly discovered that our new home was not scary at all and we met some great people through a church that we found. The weather was gorgeous, there was a lot to do, and we were enjoying our little adventure as newlyweds.

The years flew by. Our group of friends became a revolving door for Stanford grad students and young professionals. We started saying goodbye to great people and welcoming new ones. There were many shared meals, holidays, milestones, trials, and celebrations.

Now there are eleven days left before we leave it all behind and move to Portland. As I am packing up our apartment while Jonathan is at work, I'm getting very sentimental. I'm realizing that we will be having our last Posh Bagel Saturday soon. Our last neighborhood walk with the dog, our last Sunday morning at church, our last home group night, our last dinner with the Littaus. All these babies we have known since birth will grow up and we won't see them again. We knew this time would come, but I hope we don't forget our time here. I know it will soon feel like a distant memory. I'm glad we have our little Quinnie as a souvenir of sorts of our time here. Our little California girl. I also hope that we return for visits frequently.

When I went on a ten-day backpacking trip in Canada in high school, there was a quote that our guide shared with us that I like to recall when an important season in life comes to a close. Here it is:

“You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.”
― RenĂ© Daumal

We will miss you Bay Area. The people and the place.

5 comments:

  1. Can't believe you're moving! The grandparents must sure be happy :) And Portland is a fun city. I have family there, so if I'm ever visiting, I'd love to get together and meet your gorgeous Quinnie! :)

    Lindsey <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. What part of town are you moving to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey...the Grandparents AND Aunts/Uncles are VERY happy to have them closer. :)

    Bittersweet weeks until you move. A great place to live for a while in MtView. God truly blessed you there. Now you are bring a little Cali girl home to Oregon! *Hope she doesn't speak "Valley Talk" ;)

    We have Great Harvest Bread and Papa's Pizza and Oregon Zoo and Fall Leaves! And no water shortages... :)

    See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was thinking about you guys moving while running this morning... I remember that it was almost 4 years to the week that we moved you TO Mt View. It was a beautiful November afternoon when we pulled the UHaul up to your corner apartment. We had left the rainy NW and I thought, "This place is beautiful...smells wonderful with the flowers still in bloom...warm temperatures...I hope they don't like it TOO much and not want to come back."

    The Ducks were playing football that day and I was getting text updates while emptying the truck from Martha b/c we couldn't get the game down there. I remember trying to find a place where we could 'recycle' the boxes and having people look at us like, "who the heck are you, you Oregon hippies..." Guess Eugene Recycling was just part of our DNA by that time...hadn't quite caught on in Cali yet.

    I remember thinking that you wouldn't be home for Thanksgiving and it would be the first one without you.

    I remember feeling very sad for leaving you there while we pulled out of your street. But also proud and glad that you could have an Adventure and you were faithful in your following where God was leading you...(but also, the mom in me was still very sad.)

    I remember visiting you in the spring and smelling the flowering orange trees and jasmine wondering how I could maybe move there too...for a time. :)

    Mr View has been such a blessing... as, even in my sadness I knew that God has His Best always in mind. So happy you got to experience all it had for you there...

    We've now come full circle... we will bring you back to Oregon...four years later. It will be sad to leave that wonderful place...but this time, when I leave I will feel joy that you are coming home once again...with a blessed addition...Quinnie!

    On to the next Adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jamie,

    This is very well put! I understand the bitter-sweet nature of the move. I'm happy you guys get to move to Portland! Next time we're home, we'll have to meet Quinn and introduce you guys to B. Your weekly update posts of Quinn are awesome. She's so beautiful. You look AMAZING. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete