I had a light bulb moment I want to share. Randy Alcorn had a great post on his blog yesterday about Recognizing Our Anger that is a must-read. In youth group on Sunday, we learned about Galatians 5:13, "You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love."
I think the times I am most angry in life are when I feel like someone is stomping on "my rights", getting in the way of "what I deserve", or when I perceive something to be unfair. Sure, it helps a bit to keep in mind that I don't have any rights aside from what God has given me, I deserve death as the wages of my Sin, and God has poured out grace and mercy on me and that is far from fair. But I think considering my anger in light of Galatians 5:13 adds a new dimension to the problem.
Instead of using our freedom in Christ to run around being selfish, we are challenged to use our freedom to act the opposite of free. To serve one another, to willingly submit to being servants to our neighbors. Slaves don't have any rights. When we intentionally lay down our rights (including my favorite right: The Right to Be Right), there is a lot less to be angry about. God is helping us to avoid anger when we obey the Second Greatest Commandment.
I hope someone finds that encouraging! I know I sure needed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment