February 2, 2011

Alright, this is the post that's going to make everyone think I've lost my mind. 


I first read this post about finding safe products a year ago. It was reposted today and I was going to share it during my Picks of the Week, but realized I have a lot more to say about it. Back when I first read it, I entered a bunch of the products I used into it. I was appalled to discover that a lot of them had ingredients that were known endocrine disruptors, linked to cancer or immunotoxicity, and more. At the time, I was also learning about making my own home cleaning products. Information like this really inspired me to simplify.


I switched to Dr. Bronner's castile soap for my face, body, hand soap by sinks, and even for scrubbing the floors and shower. No more being trapped in the shower with toxic fumes! I used to have red bumps on my hands during the week that would fade over the weekend. This made me wonder if I was allergic to something at work. I started bringing a mini bottle of Dr. Bronner's to work to wash my hands and I no longer have a rash. Creepy, right?


I switched to a lotion that is pretty much 100% shea butter for my face and body and feel like my skin is better for it. And it comes in a giant bottle at Whole Foods so it lasts a really long time. For particularly dry spots, lip balm, and more I use coconut oil. I keep it in a separate little jar from the main jar in the kitchen. I also use a small scoop of baking soda to exfoliate my face about twice a week, it's very gentle. 


I clean the apartment with castile soap, a spray bottle of vinegar and water, sprinkles of baking soda, and the occasional lemon + baking soda combo to really get things sparkling. The great thing is that all of these are safe to consume (though not all of them taste real great) so I don't have to worry if Shinobi gets into it or if it sits on my skin a long time. 


It's so nice to only have a few items in our bathroom cupboard! It's very easy for me to pack for a trip too.


So maybe you don't think any of that is very crazy. Well, here is the biggest change I have made: I haven't used shampoo since May. And I'm thrilled about it. 


I used to dye my hair, have it cut frequently, buy all sorts of special shampoos and conditioners and products, and I just got tired of it. There was a buzz going on in the Spring of 2010 on some of the blogs I follow about going No 'Poo: quitting the shampoo and conditioner routine. I think the best explanation can be found on this blog. I was open to an adventure at the time all this was happening. Getting spousal buy-in can be tricky, but Jonathan was all for it. So I started making my baking soda + water shampoo and apple cider vinegar + water conditioner and never looked back. There were about three weeks of transitional oddness, but I think part of that was caused by me not using enough baking soda since I have fairly thick hair. My hair now has a natural wave to it, doesn't go flat as quickly, and feels healthier and stronger. (And I only need to wash it every third or fourth day, shhh.) Best of all, Jonathan made the switch in November and is loving it. He doesn't even need to use hair gel any more.


So, there, I've said it. I don't mean for this post to make anyone feel like they need to do what I do. This is just the place where I share the random stuff I'm trying out. But I'm loving the simplicity, frugality, and lack of mystery chemicals. Me and NaHCO3 are pretty much BFFs now. 

2 comments:

  1. This is SO great! We've only used safe and/or homemade, things-that-could-go-safely-in-a-child's-mouth cleaning mixtures for a while now and our home feels fresh, clean, and natural. Haven't tried "No 'Poo" yet, but I too have seen the buzz in blogland...now I'm really intrigued to try it! Also, thanks for the link to Keeper of the Home blog--looks right up my alley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I just switched to homemade cleaners (which I love) and have been considering slowly switching everything to all natural things (FYI: Jamie thinks I'm nuts). You're right, it simplifies life so much. Have you posted anywhere or have a list anywhere of all the products you use and all of the recipes? Also, where have you gotten containers for all of them (like the shampoo bottle?) I with we were neighbors so I could pick your brain more!!!

    ReplyDelete