A flu bug has made its way through our home. On Wednesday night I had a tickle in my throat. On Thursday morning I woke up with a fever, a pounding headache, and a constant cough. I stayed home and slept and watched Christmas movies. I could barely drag myself around. Friday wasn't much better. Saturday I continued in my laying around and sleeping (but managed to watch the Civil War, Go Ducks!) and Sunday was finally feeling well enough to go out in public.
I like to think of my kitchen as my laboratory. On Wednesday I got a happy little package from Mountain Rose Herbs which included dried elderberries. I have read a lot about elderberry syrup lately for fighting colds and flu and decided I wanted to try making my own. I made my first bottle mere hours before the tickle in my throat started. I think it was too late for me, though it was soothing to take throughout being sick. But Jonathan was a good sport and started taking spoonfuls of the syrup each day. It actually tastes pretty decent and I didn't even use as much honey as the recipe calls for.
Well, the inevitable happened. It's pretty impossible for two people living in a one bedroom apartment to not share germs. Jonathan got the tickle in his throat on Sunday night. Monday morning he had a low fever, headache, and was coughing. He worked from home and took some naps. I'm proud to report that he is feeling better and back to work this morning! That's only 24 hours of being sick compared to my 60+ hours!
Now, some may question my science. But I think that the elderberry syrup Jonathan took for the four days before he got sick and throughout being sick definitely played a role in his quick recovery. Try it for yourself! It's not expensive to make, definitely less than cough medicine from the store.
I think you can start a whole new industry of homemade medicine AND delicious bakery goods right out of your kitchen. I'll be your 'guinea pig'any time! =)
ReplyDelete