September 10, 2010

I have been eating steel cut oats for breakfast almost every day for nearly a year. Something about a chilly Autumn morning demands oatmeal. I stumbled upon a way to make batches of steel cut oats the night before instead of having to stand over the stove stirring for half an hour in the morning. Back when this committed relationship began, I was adding brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of flax seeds, a splash of whole milk, and diced apples to the prepared oats. When Winter appeared, I substituted dried cranberries for the apples and omitted the cinnamon. During that time, I discovered how beneficial raw coconut oil is and added a tablespoon or so of that each time to my recipe for some light sweetness and added boost of energy. I was more than ready for the delightful berries and stone fruits that Spring and Summer bring. It started with blueberries, then nectarines and peaches, and I am still enjoying a bounty of strawberries and raspberries as my fresh, in-season fruit of choice. 


When I first purchased steel cut oats, I bought the cute old fashioned tin of McCann's. With how much I liked them, I knew that would get expensive fast. So now I buy them in bulk from Whole Foods at a great price and store them in the cute tin. 


I adore my oat ritual! I have had enough people ask me about my recipe, that I decided I should share it here. 


About an hour or more before going to bed, I prepare the oats. Pre-made oatmeal can last in your fridge for up to a week, but I make enough each time to last me three breakfasts. You need a 4:1 water to oat ratio. For three breakfasts, I boil two cups of water and add a half cup of oats. I add a tablespoon of raw coconut oil while it is boiling. I let it boil for 90 seconds while stirring occasionally. Then I turn off the heat and let it cool to room temperature. I stir it a couple times while it's cooling. Once it's cool, I put a third into my little glass bowl with a lid that I take to work and put the rest in a larger storage container. When I'm ready to eat it in the morning, I microwave it for 30 seconds, give it a stir, and microwave it another 30 seconds. Then I add my toppings (I love watching the brown sugar melt into the oatmeal and swirl with the milk) and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you added coconut oil - that's how I eat mine and man is it great. :)

    ReplyDelete