We had a lot of fun in Niagara Falls. The family reunion events included two dinners and a lunch and there were over 120 relatives who attended. It is always touching to see the "Originals" (the Maves siblings) interacting, telling jokes, singing songs, and laughing together. There are some amazing old stories about Charlie and Clara, the patriarch and matriarch, and life in the Maves household. Jonathan asked my Grandma why they had 16 children and she said,"They just took what God gave them."
We got a chance to visit the beautiful town of Niagara on the Lake. You can see where the Niagara River becomes Lake Ontario there, and at the Brock Memorial you can see over the river and lake all the way to Toronto. We also rode on the Maid of the Mist and were majorly misted by the American Falls and Canadian Falls.We ate a lot of great food (my Grandma's honey cookies are always my favorite) but Jonathan adored the Buffalo wings. He consumed eight of them in one sitting! So tonight I decided to recreate them using chicken tenders. I dipped the chicken in buttermilk (whole milk with a splash of white vinegar) and then into flour. I baked them at 350 on a parchment paper lined sheet for 15 minutes and then flipped them over and baked them for 15 minutes more. While they baked, I melted two parts butter to one part Tapatio hot sauce in a sauce pan over low heat. When the chicken was done, I used tongs to dunk it in the buttery hot sauce and served them all up on a plate. We ate it with dipping sauce, homemade potato salad, and canteloupe. A perfect summer supper. And judging by the number Jonathan ate, I think he liked this version too.



Sounds and looks wonderful! You are so blessed to have such a happy family!
ReplyDelete