There is a fantastic little produce market that is a mere five minute walk from my work. I try to go there at least once a week during my lunch break and always end up leaving with a very heavy bag and rarely spend more than five dollars. Since this past autumn, I have been trying to buy produce that is in season more often because:
1. It is much less expensive.
2. It is much tastier.
3. It is more nutrient dense.
So, I was delighted to discover kale this week. It is very high in Vitamins K and A, as well as many other vitamins and minerals. It is a bit too bitter for my taste as a salad green, but I found two ways to sneak it into meals this week.
I attempt to get a fruit smoothie into our stomachs at least three mornings a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My secret recipe for a smoothie is:
six or seven frozen strawberries
a third of a frozen banana
pour orange juice into the blender until it reaches the top of the strawberries and banana
6 oz. vanilla yogurt
an optional glug of flax seed oil
Blend, blend, blend
But I have heard mutterings about sneaking kale into a smoothie and husbands barely noticing it. So, I threw a leaf in on Tuesday morning and, Eureka! It worked!
I knew it was meant to be when this recipe for Tuscan Potato Soup popped up in my RSS feed. I just made it for dinner and it was so rich and savory. I'm not particularly fond of obeying recipes, so of course I made some alterations. I used pancetta instead of bacon, 2 ginormo shallots instead of an onion, and half the recommended cheese. And, I definitely used the reserve pancetta grease :) Also, I returned the pancetta to the pot just before serving instead of using it as a garnish. It made more than enough for dinner tonight, dinner tomorrow, and two servings to be frozen for a lazy night when I don't feel like cooking. You'll have to check out the recipe to see what kale and a blender have to do with it.
Hmmm...sounds tasty! I found a recipe on allrecipes.com for baked kale chips- sounds weird, but yummy!!
ReplyDelete